We've come to understand that rest is as important as diet, exercise, and mental health - to the point where we now know it's inextricably linked. Rest is imperative to well-being, and simple ‘fixes’ can create a ‘world of difference’ in your life. Yet rest seems to elude so many of us and our lives are increasingly hectic. It's not always easy to wind down after a busy day, however Implementing a ‘routine’ is always a great way to simplify life.
Listed are a couple of easy ‘quick fix’ concepts to combat the craziness of life.
- Set a Schedule, and Stick to it - 7 hours of sleep is plenty of rest for most adults, that being said it is important to schedule accordingly. Go to bed at the same time every day, and as much as possible - try to be consistent so that your body gets used to it
- Avoid Large - Heavy Meals and caffeine after a certain time - Never go to bed hungry but you should also avoid sleeping right after a heavy meal. Alcohol and caffeine should be avoided too.
- Create a Restful environment - Make your bedroom a restful and relaxing enclave. Try taking a bath before bed, read or journal and do your best to avoid electronic devices.
- Workout - Physical activity and even spending time outside can act as a catalyst to promote better sleep
- Manage worries - Create a journal and write down whatever is bothering you!
Check out more at Mayo Clinic - https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/in-depth/sleep/art-20048379